NOTE: THIS EVENT HAS PASSED!
WHERE: Albany, NY
WHEN: Tuesday, May 18, 2004
WHY: To lobby for passage of 2 bills to protect Lyme doctors
WHO: All New Yorkers concerned about Lyme treatment.
TO ATTEND: Please contact the representative from your area. See below. Thanks!
Be sure to bring a photo ID! Also, bring the directions and the lobby details that you received by email.
The next month will take all of our effort to get the OPMC Reform Bill passed AND to press for passage of Nettie Mayersohn's bill to protect our Lyme doctors.
I don't know about you, but I am tired of being on the defensive for so long, having to use all our energy to protect our doctors from losing their licenses.
In the next few weeks, we have an opportunity to turn this around. WE CAN FINALLY PASS OPMC REFORM AND NO LONGER HAVE TO FEAR LOSING OUR DOCTORS..
SO PLEASE COME TO ALBANY TO LOBBY ON TUESDAY MAY 18th AND TELL THE LEGISLATURE WHAT YOU THINK
Then we can finally turn our energy to getting funding for a cure for this lousy illness.
PLEASE EMAIL ME ASAP TO TELL ME IF YOU CAN COME and how many friends or relatives you can bring with you. Let me know if you are driving or need a ride. (Or contact the rep. from your area, see below)
Don't worry about what to say when you meet with legislators. We will prepare you fully before you go.
But please make this lobby day a priority in your life. This is a true crisis - one of those "failure is not an option" situations.
ADVANCE SIGN-UP IS NECESSARY.
PHONE OR EMAIL:
For carpool information, contact your area representative.
Visiting and Directions to the New York State Capitol
From the North: Take Interstate 87 (Northway) to Interstate 90 (East) exit, proceed east to Interstate 787 (South) and take Empire Plaza exit.
From the South: Take New York State Thruway (Interstate 87) to Exit 23 - straight through toll booth to Interstate 787, and then take Empire Plaza exit.
From the East: Take Interstate 90 and cross Hudson River. Take exit to Interstate 787 South, along river. Take Empire Plaza exit.
From the West: Take the New York State Thruway (Interstate 90) to Exit 24, proceed east on Interstate 90 to Interstate 787 South, along river. Take Empire Plaza exit.
There is a parking map at the website listed below. There won't be reserved parking. You can park under the plaza in visitor parking P-3 North or P-3 South. After parking, take the elevator up to the concourse and follow directions to the LOB. The buildings are connected inside. (Overflow parking is in the Grand Street lot).
Additional Parking Info:
"Parking Information for Visitors"
The key is to tell your personal story briefly and to ask for what you want. Some simple office visit protocol, based on generalizations from lots of visits:
1) Introduce everyone in your party with a one line tie-in for each person.
2) Quickly introduce the subject of your visit then move one to the background information. (it will make more sense being placed in context this way)
3) Acknowledge and address your remarks to any staff present as well, for they will be doing the actual follow-up.
4) Avoid getting drawn into discussing details with which you are not familiar It's O.K. to say "I don't know about that, but what's important to me is..."
5) If the lawmaker starts to accept phone calls, your visit is probably over and you should politely leave.
6) Prepare for only a 15 minute meeting and only go longer at the prompting of the lawmaker. Better to have been short and sweet than be causing inconvenience.
7) Find the positive note on which to end your meeting and be sure to shake hands.
8) Send a letter to thank the lawmaker for taking the time etc.
For background information, please go to www.lymeinfo.net To receive regular emails containing information about Lyme disease in general as well as Lyme activism, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to Advocacy Events